Thursday, December 6, 2012

Example Essay #2

Note: I originally planned this as a process essay. But it turned more into an example essay. I'm curious if there is one that works better than the other? For some reason I have an incredibly hard time trying to write an example essay.


                I have a particular weakness for bad boys. They have a certain way about them that just catches me right by the throat. I am easily susceptible to their smooth talking and aloof demeanor. My longest and worst relationship was with the worst type of bad boy. For three years, I was addicted to Lucas’ very presence with moments of clarity surfacing when he was not near. However, it only took one text message or glance at a picture for me to throw out every shred of doubt that accumulated. He held me hostage with his confidence, bullshitting skills, and the feeling that I could fix him.

                I still remember the first day I laid eyes on him. I was leaning against the school walls and this man brimming with self-confidence and assurance sauntered up to me with the goofiest grin on his face. “Hey, I’m Luke.” He kicked my shoe and flashed a wink to his friends in the hallway near me. That there should have been a warning signal to run very far away, but I was already mesmerized. He had the coldest blue steel eyes I had ever seen. They would change color depending on his mood and I was lost in them, always gauging his mood and acting accordingly. Within days of our introduction, when we began talking on the phone late at night, he would tell me that I would fall madly in love with him. “And there is nothing you can do to stop it.” I wanted to disagree with him but I knew that it was true. I was a hopeless mess. And his words were like silk against my skin.

                When we began hanging out more, he spun a tale of heartbreak and misery over his previous girlfriend. We would discuss her and his feelings for her in depth all while he insisted that he had begun to have feelings for me. What person would stick around knowing that she was being played? Apparently, me. Whenever I would start to give up and tell him that I couldn’t play his game anymore, he’d hold me close and beg me to believe that he was being sincere. The girl, who I’ll dub ‘M’, kept meeting him and “pulled” him under “her spell”. Later on, I found out there was yet another girl, who I’ll dub ‘E’, that had a hold of his heart. I felt it was my calling in life to pick up the broken pieces of him and hold them together.

                I just knew that if I stuck with him long enough I could heal his wounds and we’d finally have a chance to be happy. We’d spend hours talking about his feelings for these two ladies and I’d listen to stories about both of them. I’d offer advice and insight and council him on his actions. I’d smile and keep my personal thoughts and feelings to myself, in case I upset him. I did everything I could to keep him happy. When I angered him, he’d pull away and all of my work to fix that precious heart would be lost. I was desperate to solve his problems, ignoring the pain and suffering I was going through.

                In the end, I forced myself to end all contact with him. It was the only way to stop the mind games. His confidence in the control he held over me was too powerful along with his soft words that would bring me to my knees. I fell in love with a man who was hurting from the shadows that haunted him. He was the worst type of bad boy. They seek your sympathy and capture your love. They feed off of your soul and fill you back up when you are near depletion. It’s been a year since we last spoke and even longer since we last saw each other and I know that if he were to try to take me back, I would run scampering like a mouse after a piece of cheese. I wouldn’t bother looking at the trap that surrounded the cheese. Nor would I sense the crushing blow to my very being until it was too late. I simply have an incredible weakness for bad boys, especially the one named Lucas.

1 comment:

  1. A real essay, which tends to downgrade the importance of the type essay it might be. Not quite example really. More process--I think your original instinct was right.

    But I'm happy to take good writing where I find it and this qualifies, so, okay, we'll call it example (you've given one example of a bad boy and then described the way, the process, of your getting sucked in and under. This material is well-handled which is particularly impressive, given its emotional nature.

    Good luck avoiding cheese and trap!

    ReplyDelete