Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Search

     Potty training was an interesting topic to decide upon when thinking about my Isearch. I originally wanted to do something about Necrotizing Fasciitis, Breeding Gargoyle Geckos, and something about trying to determine if my Bearded Dragon was sick and how I could cure her. None of these choices panned out so I was left with the only thing that I was currently doing. Potty training Gabriel.
    The Internet has a plethora of sources for this. The problem is finding sources that are credible and have useful information. I know I could theoretically use anything but I wanted to use something that had sources and didn't look like it had been written by someone who had never ever been around a child.
    The first article online that I found seemed credible enough but the information was very vague and didn't exactly answer my question. I kept the link just in case I could use it later on but as of right now, it isn't something I find important. The next few articles were of no help at all as they only talked about potty training girls. If Gabriel had been Gabrielle, that would be nice information but the parts are a bit different.
    My neighbor has a son that is a year younger than Gabriel and he also picked up an interest in potty training. I asked her a bit about what she did but she couldn't give me concrete answers because he would only go on the toilet at the baby-sitter's house. When he was home and they tried to potty train him, he would decide to use the floor or the laundry basket instead of the toilet. While this information was interesting and could potentially be looked into for answers, it didn't relate to my brother. Gabriel doesn't go to a baby sitter nor is he trying to relieve himself on anything but the toilet or in his pull-ups. Even interviewing my mom gave little help as apparently I potty trained myself at the baby sitter's also.
    The biggest piece of information came from Gabe's new doctor. She told us that typically boys do not start potty training until 3 and a half years old. Gabe did just turn three and it's great that he shows an interest but he may just not be ready. She told us that we should stop with the potty training and let him take the reigns. If he says he wants to use the toilet, then we can let him but we shouldn't be placing him on it every half hour or continuously asking him if he has to go. It could turn him off of wanting to transition and put a set back in his development.
    I still want to get a hold of some books to possibly get some more information on the psychology behind potty training but as of right now, the quest of potty training Gabriel is on a hold.

1 comment:

  1. YOu might try google groups or google blogs for ordinary citizens' take on the thing.

    Eventually you will have to streamline this. It should tell us how you found information and answers--the Answer section will tell us what you found.

    ReplyDelete